Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Suffering with Purpose


I have a friend that is very dear to me who is hurting right now. I ache for her with such empathy, I just can't express it. It's like all of my scars itch. I can absolutely feel her pain. I have no words for her. Only emotion that can not be spoken. I'm so glad that she has support from her family, but even with that I'm sure she feels alone. The shame is expulsive.

The Bible tells us this in Philippians 4:6-7 "Don't worry about anything, instead pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus."

I think back to all of the "Dr. Phil" advice that I have received over the many years that I have dealt with issues and none of it compares to what I have learned in the past year. You know, people always have an answer for you but it never seems to work. Oh, it may for a while, but anything that credits self or humanity as being the answer to life's problems is heresy. NO MAN CAN SAVE HIMSELF. Colossians 1:20 tells us this: "and through him God reconciled everything to himself. He made peace with everything in heaven and on earth by means of Christ's blood on the cross." That's the only way...the blood of Jesus Christ. I love in Colossians 2:11 where Paul tells us of the "spiritual circumcision - the cutting away of your sinful nature". That is so poetic. It relieves me to know that I have that reprieve.

I have been told that when you give advice, it should always be backed by Scripture. That way, if a person gets defensive or angry, it's not your opinion, it's in the Bible. The Book has every lesson we need. "I am glad that I suffer for you in my body, for I am participating in the sufferings of Christ that continue for his body, the church." (Col 1:24) Paul tells us to suffer joyfully (sounds crazy, I know), but the reason is that it can change people's lives and bring people to God's Kingdom. You all have told me many times to write this story that I have been sharing, and that is why. Now, my friend, I'm telling you that the suffering will change people's lives in a good way. I pray that God gives you strength for endurance and patience, to tough it out. I pray that He gives you wisdom and understanding. I pray that He removes this sickness from your husband's body in the name of Jesus. I pray that all things will be made new and His perfect will be done. Amen.

I love you , my friend. I am with you in spirit and please remember, you are alive!

1 comment:

  1. I love the tip to back up advice with scripture - I am going to start doing that! Joining you in prayer for your friend in Jesus' name!

    ReplyDelete