Sunday, March 14, 2010

Quitter or Committer?

I have quit many things in my life. I quit drinking, drugging, overeating, smoking, fornicating, and stealing just to name a few. Some of you might say, "Well, goodness, she's saved!" What does that mean? To be saved?

As a Christian, salvation is what we seek. We grow closer every day in our walk with Christ. The Word tells us that no amount of good works can merit our salvation. Our righteousness means nothing. Ephesians 2:4, 8-9 "Once you were dead because of your disobedience and your many sins. God saved you by his grace when you believed. And you can't take credit for this; it is a gift from God. Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it."
Salvation is a gift from God.

All that I have done is quit doing some of the sins that were holding me back, keeping me further away from Christ. I have grown closer to Him in the past six months than I did my entire life. Growing up in the house of horrors, we were in church every time the doors were open. We received attendance pins for never missing a day! And I only knew there is a God. What I did not have was a relationship with Jesus Christ, the One who can save me from this life of sin. I cried out to God many times asking "Why? Why me Lord?". WHY NOT ME? No one is worthy of salvation. We deserve hell. God is gracious and merciful enough that He sent His own Son in body to be human and suffer on this earth, die by crucifixion, and rise again so that we may have eternal life. The suffering that I have endured is miniscule and insignificant. They have given me a testimony and only drawn me closer to the One that I love today.

Know this: we will always sin. There is no reason to be pessimistic about this or disgruntled. The more we focus on our depravity, the more exalted Christ becomes. The cross becomes more beautiful. Romans 8:7 tells us "For the sinful nature is always hostile to God. It never did obey God's laws, and it never will." Romans 2:23-25 tells us how we are pardoned and delivered to freedom by Christ's death. In believing that Jesus sacrificed His life and shed His blood, we are saved and freed fromt he penalty of our sins. Thank You Father!

So, today, I am committed and convicted. I am in covenant with the Lord, not contract. A covenant is non-negotiable whereas a contract is. This covenant is cut in blood, is unchangeable, and is eternal. A contract is temporary. A covenant requires a commitment and that is what God wants. So today, I stand committed.

No comments:

Post a Comment