Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Murder


Have you ever been so afraid and terrified that you wanted to scream at the top of your lungs, but when you open your mouth, nothing comes out? It's like your breath is sucked up inside of your soul and its gonna explode. That's how I felt when I found out my momma was dead.

My daddy came out of the woods with my sisters in a cardboard box. He surrendered to the police, he had no choice at this point. My momma had been taken to the hospital by my Uncle Curtis, my daddy's little brother. He was 19. An ambulance had been called during the beating, but my daddy told them she had left. She was actually lying in the back yard half naked where he had placed a water hose inside of her to 'clean her out'. I wonder if she could have lived had that ambulance driver actually looked for her?

She clung on to her life until the wee hours of August 25th. Her autopsy stated that she had 96 bruises and contusions on her body. She had been dragged, beaten, battered, and sexually assaulted. All this by her husband, the man who is supposed to love her and cover her with a hedge of protection.

My father plead guilty in the middle of his trial. He stood up and stopped the proceedings and plead guilty. I think, now, that he knew he was going to spend the rest of his natural life in prison if he did not. He received 50 years. He was released on September 8, 2001 and unchanged man. I can say this because I tried to live with him and I tried to have a relationship with him. He was still a drunk, as was I. I was also using cocaine at the time. We fought physically and I did not back down. I felt that I had to prove something to him... I was trying to prove something to myself.

There is much more to this story. It has only just begun. Unfortunately, the tragedy did not end here.

No comments:

Post a Comment